1.14.2014

Otomi Textiles


For ages I've been in love with this embroidered fabric. I've spotted it from time to time in chic houses or while traveling around, but I never knew what it was called. I'd hunt high and low, endlessly google, but no luck. That is, until I spent my Christmas holiday in Mexico City! I spent a crazy afternoon at the San Angel market (side note: if you ever make the trip to DF, it's definitely worth the 45 minute drive outside the city to see this market!) & found a handful of stands of women selling these gorgeous pieces. One of them was kind enough to clue me in -- they go by Otomi & are named for the indigenous Otomi people in several Mexican states east of Mexico City. Each piece is meticulously embroidered on cotton muslin & seems suited to just about anything you can think of. Clearly I'm late to the game because pinterest is a wash with gorgeous Otomi pieces. Just glad to be in on the secret.






Images via 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

No comments:

Post a Comment